WELCOME TO BAYWEST BUG
Our group is for riders 18 years and older. We ride to get fit, have fun, find friends and to share the enjoyment of conversation during coffee or sometimes a meal on a ride.
We have a variety of rides:
- short local trips (30 to 40 km) – the most frequent format;
- a train trip to more distant trails such as the Main Yarra trail, the Koonung trail, and the Mullum Mullum trail;
- occasional longer, more challenging rides;
- options to extend rides if desired.
Common destinations are:
- Point Cook Homestead;
- Werribee Loop;
- Coburg Lake via the Merri Creek trail;
- Footscray and Valley Lake via the Maribyrnong trail;
- Ashburton and nearby via the Gardner’s Creek trail and Anniversary trail;
- Altona Pier.
Newport Station and Footscray Station are common starting points.
We have social evenings where we visit local restaurants and clubs for a meal every second month. Once or twice a year we organise overnight or two-day bike riding trips. Our group also join the Friends of Skeleton Creek for excursions to areas of conservation value.
We are a non-profit organisation aiming to improving conditions for cyclists. We do this by involvement in local planning. Our group have participated in:
- improvements to the Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail;
- the Aviation Road Level Crossing Removal Project consultative committee;
- the Westgate Tunnel Project consultative committee.
Ours is a friendly group which that welcomes new members.